Wikimedia Foundation invite suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the position of Database Administrator III to join our dynamic team.
Duties & Responsibilities
The successful applicant will be responsible for but not limited to the following job functions:
What you’ll do
- Operate and improve the RDBMS systems serving Wikimedia projects
- Respond to common database issues, following documented procedures
- Collaborate with SRE and other teams across the organization to ensure their specific database needs are met on an ongoing basis
- Perform day-to-day operational/DevOps tasks on Wikimedia’s public facing infrastructure (deployment, maintenance, configuration, troubleshooting)
- Implement and utilize configuration management and deployment tools
- Monitor systems, services and service clusters, optimize performance and resource utilization
- Participate in incident response, diagnosis and follow-up on system outages or alerts across Wikimedia’s production infrastructure
Required Knowledge and Experience
We pride ourselves with having the best people, which are our most important assets. Our company has been recognized for having the highest ethics and strives for excellence through distinctly higher standards than the norm.
We therefore urge only candidates with these unique requirements and experience to apply for this stimulating position.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 2+ years experience in a DBA role as part of a team
- 3+ years experience with Linux in a production environment
- Knowledge and experience of (Free and Open Source) RDBMS (preferably MariaDB or MySQL) administration (understanding of and experience with replication is essential) and support, debugging query performance and schema design
- Comfortable with shell and at least one of the scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Passion for automating tasks and processes
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience working with or as a part of SRE/Operations/DevOps teams
- Experience with NoSQL products (Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, etc.)
- Experience with LAMP stack technologies (PHP/HHVM, memcached/redis, MySQL) – MediaWiki familiarity would be great!
- Developing Free and Open Source software, or being part of an open-source community
CONTINUE READING BELOW
How to apply: Interested and qualified? Visit boards.greenhouse.io South Africa
Job Alert: Join Us on Telegram Now !!